Homelessness & Poverty Committee Meeting
Monday, June 29, 10:00am
Give public comment:
- Call 1-669-254-5252
- Enter Meeting ID No. 160-655-3266
- Press #
- Press # again when prompted for participant ID
- Once admitted into the meeting, press *9 to request to speak
LAHSA’s homeless count showed an increase of 14.2% in the City of LA. It’s clear that the City’s minimal attempts at building and opening permanent supportive housing and A Bridge Home shelters are not working. We need a radical shift in our approach towards homelessness. We need to:
- #DefundThePolice – Criminalizing homelessness and overspending on policing has led to our current homelessness crisis.
- Reinvest police funds in homelessness prevention measures like cancelling rent and greatly expanding the stock of permanent, public housing.
- House everyone in hotel rooms – commandeer hotels now, Garcetti!
- LA has 100,000 hotel rooms, most of which are empty. Mayor Garcetti has refused to commandeer a single hotel while the unhoused population increases and COVID-19 cases rise.
- Support Item 12: Commission on Lived Experience with Homelessness (Bonin)
- appointment of commissioners must not be made by elected officials to ensure commissioners’ independence and effectiveness
- Ensure that each neighborhood has access to cooling centers to prevent deaths among the elderly and vulnerable population. We are approaching hot summer months, yet there are NO cooling centers in most LA communities.